Delicious Olive Garden Copycat Zuppa Toscana made dairy-free & gluten-free with directions for Instant Pot and Slow-Cooker.
1 tablespoon olive or avocado oil
1 pound gluten-free Italian sausage, casings removed
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 russet potatoes, chopped
6 cups gluten-free chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 bunch kale, stems removed and torn into bite-size pieces
1 can coconut milk, stirred
- In a large skillet fry the Italian sausage for 5 minutes; chopping it while it cooks to get it crumbly.
- Add in the garlic, onion, oregano, and red pepper flakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain any excess fat and place sausage mixture in slow-cooker.
- Add chopped potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 4 hours and then add in chopped kale. Cook for another 20-30 minutes and then stir in whisked coconut milk.
- Serve with additional red pepper flakes if desired.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Set a 6-qt or 8-qt Instant Pot to the saute setting and add the oil and sausage. Chopping while it cooks to crumble the sausage until lightly browned about 5 minutes. If there is any excess fat drain it off.
- Continue cooking and add the garlic, onion, oregano and red pepper flakes. Stirring frequently until the onion are cooked, about 3 minutes.
- Add in the chopped potatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Press manual setting for set timer for 5 minutes at high pressure. When time is up, use the quick-release method to open.
- Stir in the kale and coconut milk and let heat through for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve. Season with more red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper to taste.
Keywords: dairy-free zuppa toscana, gluten-free zuppa toscana, gluten-free soup, olive garden copycat zuppa toscana