This is our family’s favorite Chicken Noodle Soup – Gluten-Free recipe and it works wonderfully with the Trim Healthy Mama plan.
This soup is one of the first soups that I made as a young bride years ago. I remember being so excited to try it. I had found the recipe on the back of a can of broth and thought it sounded so good. Not being a very experienced cook the thought of even trying to make soup was a big step for me. Thankfully, it turned out yummy and was pretty easy to make.
When we made the switch to eating gluten-free, I used rice noodles instead of the wheat egg noodles that I originally used in this recipe. Now that we follow the Trim Healthy Mama plan and needing to keep it gluten-free, I use cabbage for our “noodles”. Our family loves it and we don’t miss those old style of noodles one bit.
I like to make a big pot of this soup so that it will last for several meals. I use my Cuisinart food processor that is similar to this model and it makes quick work of all the slicing, shredding, and dicing. I’ve had other food processors before this one that usually cost $40 or less, but they all would quit working after a year or two, so while it is more expensive it is very reliable and hard working.
You can use canned broth and chicken for this recipe if you’d like, or you make your own broth and cooked chicken with the recipe that I put in the notes below.
I include a couple of seasonings in this recipe that you may or may not have on hand or even be familiar with – nutritional yeast and Herbamare. They are both optional to the recipe, but I do think they add delicious flavoring to the soup.
Nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast that comes in the form of yellow flakes, is high in B vitamins, and has a delicious cheesy taste. I love adding it to savory soups, non-dairy “cheese” crackers, casseroles, veggies, and popcorn. You can learn more about nutritional yeast and its benefits on Dr. Josh Axe’s website.
Herbamare is an organic herb seasoning salt. We especially like the flavor of this seasoned salt and love that its organic and gluten-free. We use it in soups, crackers, and veggie dishes.
For you Trim Healthy Mamas this soup is an FP.
- 8 cups chicken broth, if buying make sure it's gluten-free
- 4-6 cups of water
- 6 cups chicken, cooked and shredded
- 1 lb carrots, sliced
- 6-8 celery stalks, sliced
- ½ head of cabbage, finely shredded, about 5-6 cups
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 lb bag of frozen cauliflower, mostly thawed, optional to add
- 2-4 tablespoons nutritional yeast, optional
- 1-2 teaspoons of Herbamare, or other seasoned salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Start by taking the frozen bag of cauliflower out of the freezer and setting it out to begin thawing.
- Put the broth and water in a large stockpot and bring to boil.
- While your broth and water are heating up, slice your carrots and celery. Add to the broth.
- Shred your cabbage and dice your onion. Add both to the pot.
- Chop up your cauliflower into small pieces about the size of rice and add to the soup.
- Add seasonings.
- Bring soup to a boil. Turn down to simmer, cover the pot and let simmer for 20-30 minutes, until veggies are tender.
- Add shredded chicken to pot and let simmer for another 15-20 minutes.