These gluten-free soft molasses cookies are full of the rich flavor of molasses and ginger making these cookies irresistibly delicious. They’re perfect for fall and Christmas baking, but really all year long is great too. My sister and brother-in-law are absolutely nuts about these cookies.
They are really simple to make and will make your home smell heavenly!
Baking Tips for Making Gluten-Free Soft Molasses Cookies:
- My go-to gluten-free flour mix is Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour. I get consistently good results baking with this blend. I usually buy it in bulk on the Better Batter website.
- To keep this dairy-free use Smart Balance or Earth Balance buttery spreads.
- Molasses: I used Grandma’s Molasses – don’t use blackstrap it not as sweet.
- After mixing the dough you’ll need to chill it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Don’t miss this step it’ll really help the dough to be firm enough to roll into balls and dip it in the sugar. Using a cookie scoop will make this step super easy.
- I love using a silicone baking mat with my baking and it fits perfectly in my half-sheet baking pan. Gluten-free dough can be sticky and using a silicone mat helps those cookies slide right off after baking. Parchment paper would work well too.
- Can be frozen: Store in a sealed freezer bag for up to 3 months. Perfect to make ahead for the holidays.
- This recipe makes 2 dozen so if you want more you can easily double the recipe. On the recipe card, you can click on the double symbol for easy calculations.
Gluten-free soft molasses cookies full of the rich flavor of molasses and ginger making these cookies irresistibly good. Dough needs to chill for 30 minutes before baking.
1/2 cup buttery spread, softened (Smart Balance or Earth Balance)*
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup molasses
2 cups gluten-free flour mix (I use Better Batter Gluten-Free Flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
For Dipping the Dough:
2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl
Using a stand mixer or hand mixer cream together the softened buttery spread and sugar. Then add in the egg and molasses. Mix together scraping down the sides of the bowl when needed.
In a separate bowl whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, and salt.
Mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Chill dough for 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
After the dough has chilled preheat the oven to 350°. Prepare a baking sheet by lining with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Roll dough into balls or use a cookie scoop and then dip the tops of the dough into the sugar to coat. Place on the baking sheet sugar side up about 2 1/2 inches apart.
Bake for 11 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Store cookies in a sealed container to keep soft. Can be frozen up to 3 months.
*An easy way to soften the buttery spread is to removed it from the refrigerator and let sit on the countertop for about 10 minutes before using.
Keywords: gluten-free cookies, gluten-free soft molasses cookies, dairy-free cookies, gluten-free desserts