These lemon bars make a lovely dessert for any occasion and are easy to make and turn out so beautifully. They need at least 3 hours to cool and then chill before serving.
2 cups gluten-free flour mix*
1 cup dairy-free buttery spread, melted, Smart Balance or Earth Balance**
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
3/4 cup fresh lemon juice (4 lemons)
1/3 cup of gluten-free flour*
powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 325°. Prepare a 9×13 baking pan by lining it with parchment paper or grease with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix together the buttery spread, vanilla, flour, sugar, and salt.
- Press the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 20-24 minutes until edges are browned.
- While the shortbread bakes prepare the lemon custard by whisking together the eggs, lemon juice,sugar, and flour.
- When the shortbread is finished baking poke some holes along the top side of the crust with a fork. Next, pour the lemon mixture over the warm shortbread crust and then bake for around 25 minutes until the center is not jiggly.
- Remove from the oven and set on a wire rack to cool. Let the lemon bars cool for one hour and then chill in the refrigerator for at least two hours before serving.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar before serving.
- Store lemon bars covered in the refrigerator for up to one week.
Keywords: lemon bars, lemon squares, easy lemon bars, gluten-free lemon desserts, gluten-free lemon bar recipes, gluten-free dairy-free recipes