Okay, so I am loving this book, Money Making Mom! For starters, the author, Crystal Paine shares that this is the book that she wishes she had when she first started out making money from home. And I agree! I wish I had this years ago, too!
Crystal Paine, the owner of the hugely popular blog, Money Saving Mom has come out with this highly encouraging book that not only takes you through the steps of starting a business, but gives you a vision for why you would want a business, how to be successful in your work, and how to make a positive impact on others by giving generously.
My daughters and I all have home businesses that we have started over the past several years. We love our work and have learned so much already. What’s exciting to me as a business owner is that Crystal puts things in such a clear way that it is helping me to understand the business side of our work in a much easier light. It’s also helping me to have a greater vision for what we are doing with our work and how to bless others through it.
As our daughters were growing up, my husband and I knew that we wanted to encourage them to develop skills in areas where they would be able to make an income from working at home. That way when they had families of their own they would be able to stay at home with their children and not have to work outside the home if there was a need for extra income. We had actually read some material from Crystal Paine years ago on making money from home that inspired us to think more creatively in this area.
It was exciting to see our daughters develop definite interests and talents, and we encouraged them to work hard at developing their skills in those areas. They both started their own businesses in their teen years. Breezy began selling art prints and Emily Rose began doing web design. Later they started their own publishing company producing a line of historical paper dolls that they created. The Money Making Mom would have been an excellent tool for us at that time! It would have made things so much easier!
Four years ago we began another business adventure when we started Clementine Patterns, our hand embroidery pattern company. It started when I asked my daughter, Breezy, to draw a picture for me for an embroidery that I wanted to try. After seeing how quickly it came together, we decided to try a few more designs and sell them on Etsy. I remember when the first few patterns sold – I was so excited! I couldn’t believe it was really happening!
My youngest daughter, Emily Rose, does all of the graphic design, photography, shop upkeep, and shipping for our online stores and I take care of the packaging, shipping, and the sample embroidery work. Breezy has designed the majority of our patterns and for the past 2 years she has been doing what she always dreamed of doing, illustrating children’s books. Her first two books are Audrey Bunny and For Such a Time as This, both written by Angie Smith.
A few of my favorite quotes from the book are:
“When determining a business idea to pursue, focus on the areas you already excel in that you enjoy.”
“If you don’t live with purposeful intention, aimlessness will be the default.”
Here are some things from the book that stood out to me:
- Ways to determine what type of business would be a good fit for you.
- A successful business if going to look different to different people. There is no one-size-fits all.
- Details of pros and cons of different types of businesses.
- Do what you can, when, where, and with what you have.
- Steps to make an action plan for your business.
- The beauty of a slow and steady upward climb.
- Growing as an individual directly affects your business growth.
- How to deal with things that get in your way, such as time and fear.
- Being able to help others by living generously.
I would encourage anyone with daughters to get this book and go through it together with them. If you are homeschooling mom, I think this would make a wonderful business course to work through.
I also want to encourage women of any age to read this book if you are interested in learning how to earn money from home – even if you are just the tiniest bit interested.
The Money Making Mom book will be released on November 3rd. And if you pre-order by November 2nd you can get some great pre-order bonuses!
Here’s what you’ll get with the pre-order bonuses:
- ✓Make Over Your Calendar: 7 Day Online Course—a comprehensive course to teach you how to simplify, streamline, and organize your daily schedule & to-do’s.
- ✓Crystal’s Top 10 Favorite Productivity Tools Tip Sheet—a printable PDF with links and information on Crystal’s favorite tools for better time management.
- ✓An Exclusive Live Q&A Call—an invitation to join Crystal for a special Q&A call to ask any of your Money-Making Mom questions