Gluten-free pumpkin donuts with brown sugar icing are the perfect treat for fall mornings.
- 2 cups gluten-free 1-1 flour blend
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup avocado oil or melted refined coconut oil
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Brown Sugar Icing
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of sea salt
- Whisk the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and salt together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, oil, brown sugar, sugar, eggs, almond milk, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Take a large zipped-top bag and fold down the top twice. Spoon the batter into the baggie. Unfold the top of the bag and close it with most of the air pushed out. Then, cut a small corner off of the bottom.
- Pipe the batter into the donut pans, filling 3/4 full. Bake for 11-12 minutes. When done, the tops will bounce back when tapped with your finger and be golden brown.
- Place the pans of donuts on a wire rack to cool for 2 minutes, and then remove the donuts to the wire rack to cool for another 10-15 minutes.
- Sift the powdered sugar through a fine mesh strainer by gently tapping your hand against the side of the strainer over a large bowl. Set aside.
- Make the brown sugar icing by adding the brown sugar, almond milk, and dairy-free butter to a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Simmer for 1 minute and then remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla extract and powdered sugar. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Place the wire rack of donuts on a large baking sheet. Then, dip the top of the donuts into the icing and place them back on the wire rack to set. If the icing gets too thick, you can add a little more almond milk to the icing.
Gluten-Free Flour: My favorite gluten-free & dairy-free flour blends to use are Pamela’s Gluten-Free 1:1 All Purpose Flour and Better Batter. I’ve been using them both with great results. They are both a 1-1 substitute. If you use another gluten-free flour blend, be sure it contains xanthan gum. If not, add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of flour.
Pumpkin: You’ll want to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix. Any brand should work fine, but my favorite is Libby’s brand.
Dairy-Free Butter: Suggested brands Country Crock Plant Based with Avocado Oil, Smart Balance, or Earth Balance.
I like to use an oil spritzer with avocado oil to lightly spray the pans.
This set of donut pans is what I use. If you only have one pan, bake the donuts in two batches.
Keywords: gluten-free donuts, gluten-free desserts, gluten-free dairy-free donuts