Enjoy a little taste of autumn with these deliciously moist gluten-free pumpkin bars made with dairy-free cream cheese.
- 2 ¼ cups gluten-free flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup avocado oil
- ½ cup applesauce
- 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ cup dairy-free butter, room temperature
- 8 oz dairy-free cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 ½ cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 10 x 15″ baking pan.
- Whisk together the gluten-free flour, baking powder, baking soda, sea salt, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, sugar, avocado oil, and applesauce. Then mix in pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla.
- Next, add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until combined.
- Spread the batter evenly into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Let cool on a wire rack.
Cream cheese frosting:
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment and cream together the dairy-free butter and cream cheese. Mix in the vanilla and salt. Then, mix in the powdered sugar until thoroughly mixed.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, spread with the cream cheese frosting. Place in the refrigerator to chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
Gluten-Free Flour: My favorite gluten-free & dairy-free flour blends to use are Pamela’s Gluten-Free 1:1 All-Purpose Flour and Better Batter. I’ve been using them both with great results. They are both a 1-1 substitute. If you use another gluten-free flour blend, be sure that it contains xanthan gum. If not, add 1/2 teaspoon of xanthan gum per cup of flour.
Pumpkin: You’ll want to use pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie mix. Any brand should work fine, but my favorite is Libby’s.
Dairy-Free Butter: Suggested brands are Country Crock Plant Based with Avocado Oil, Smart Balance, or Earth Balance.
Oil: I used avocado oil in this recipe. It has a light, neutral flavor. Melted refined coconut oil could also be used.
There are several brands of dairy-free cream cheese available that you could choose to make with this recipe. In my local grocery stores, I could only find these two brands: Kite Hill and Philadelphia Cream Cheese. You can read the difference between these two on my Caramel Dip post.
Keywords: gluten free pumpkin recipes, gluten free desserts, gluten free recipes, pumpkin bars, pumpkin squares