Make your own delicious gluten-free orange chicken at home with this easy recipe and simple ingredients.
2 lbs chicken breasts or chicken thighs, boneless
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup gluten-free flour blend
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 to 1/2 cup of avocado oil or olive oil
1 1/2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons rice vinegar or white vinegar
3 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce or coconut aminos
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 red pepper flakes
4 teaspoons cornstarch
zest of 1 orange
one bunch green onions, sliced
- Cut the chicken: Start by cutting the chicken into 1-inch pieces.
- Eggs: In a large bowl beat the eggs.
- Flour Mix: In another bowl combine the cornstarch, gluten-free flour, and salt.
- Fry: Heat oil in a large skillet. Add the chicken pieces to the egg mixture and toss to coat. Next, dredge the chicken through the gluten-free flour mixture. Place breaded chicken pieces in the skillet, don’t crowd. You’ll need to fry them in batches. Fry 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. You may need to add a little oil to the skillet in between batches.
- Orange Sauce: In a medium-sized pan heat the orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes for 3 minutes.
- Whisk cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water. Stir into sauce and cook for another 5 minutes then remove from heat. Add in orange zest.
- Coat the chicken: Toss the chicken with the orange sauce.
- Serve orange chicken over rice and drizzle with extra sauce. Garnish with sliced green onions. For a little more heat sprinkle with red pepper flakes.