Do you want some fried chicken legs but without the mess of all that oil? Then you’ll love these quick and easy air fryer chicken legs. Let me show you how to get deliciously crispy skin and tender juicy meat with this recipe.
I just love that we can make fried chicken without using up a bunch of oil and getting splattered on while they cook. I think my grandmother-in-law Carmella who taught me how to fry chicken would have traded in her frying pan for this easy way to make fried chicken legs!
And it’s naturally gluten-free and fits the keto diet.
(Some links in this post may be my affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.)
How to Make Easy Air Fryer Chicken Legs:
Lightly spray the air fryer basket with avocado or olive oil. I use Evo Oil Sprayer filled with avocado oil.
Wash and pat dry chicken legs. Place in the air fryer alternating the ends and leaving a little space between them so that the air can flow around.
Spritz them lightly with oil and sprinkle with salt.
Cook for 10 minutes at 400°. Turn legs over and spray and salt again. Cook for another 10 minutes.
Turn legs one more time and cook another 3-4 minutes until juices run clear or a meat thermometer inserted reads 165°.
Tip for Using an Air Fryer:
- Food that doesn’t have a coating of batter should be patted dry with a towel or paper towels to remove any water. This will help them to crisp and not steam. Examples: sweet potato fries and chicken drumsticks.
- Use a spray mister to lightly coat your food with an oil that has a high smoke point like avocado or olive oil. You may need to mist your food a couple of times throughout the cooking process, especially areas that may look dry.
- Be sure to not overcrowd food in the air fryer basket. The food will cook faster and more evenly when there’s room for the heat to circulate.
- Be cautious with foods that are extra fatty as they may splatter grease up on the heating elements of your air fryer. This can cause the air fryer to smoke or because a lot of grease drips in the bottom basket. Parchment liners under your food may help to soak up the grease.
- Use your air fryer to reheat leftovers. Instead of using a microwave or your oven put your leftovers in the air fryer to reheat. It usually takes just a couple of minutes. You can also use it to toast bread.
- Lightly pepper your food on top once you put it in the air fryer. When it comes time to turn your food halfway through cooking you’ll be able to easily tell which pieces have been turned.
More Easy Air Fryer Recipes:
More Gluten-Free Chicken Recipes:
See my Main Course Category Page for even more delicious gluten-free dinners.Print
Quick and easy chicken legs made in the air fryer with deliciously crispy skin.
5 chicken legs (or the amount that will fit in your air fryer with room between them)
avocado oil or olive oil in a sprayer
Lightly spray the basket of the air fryer with the avocado oil. Place the chicken legs in the basket alternating them and leaving a little room between each leg so the air can flow around them.
Lightly spray each leg with oil and then sprinkle with salt.
Set air fryer at 400° and cook for 10 minutes.
Turn each leg and lightly spray with oil and sprinkle with salt. Cook 10 more minutes.
Turn chicken legs one more time and give them another little spritz with oil and cook 3-4 more minutes until juices run clear or a meat thermometer inserted reads 165°.
Keywords: air fryer chicken, air fryer chicken legs, gluten-free chicken legs, no breading, keto