Yellow Squash Snack Cake. Yellow squash makes this snack cake moist and delicious! Gluten-free, Grain-free option, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Low-Carb, THM-S.
(This post contains affiliate links. Any purchases you make through my links will provide me with a small commission at no extra charge to you. Thank you for your support! See my disclosure policy here.)
This simple to make snack cake makes me think a lot of a pound cake, but without all the sugar. The yellow squash makes this cake nice and moist and the combination of almond flour and the THM Baking Blend gives it the perfect texture. This cake is delicious even without icing. My favorite way to serve it is plain or with a berry sauce.
While summer squash is in season, I like to freeze it in 2 cup portions so that I can easily make baked goods throughout the year using squash. Most of the time we think of using zucchini in cakes, but yellow squash works just as well, especially if you’re wanting a lighter color of cake.
It’s simple to freeze summer squash.
- Peel or leave peeling, the choice is yours. There are more nutrients in the peeling, but if you don’t want the extra yellow or green color you can peel them first.
- Cut out seedy centers.
- Shred. This is easiest done in a food processor. This food processor is the one that I use.
- Freeze in 2-cup portions in freezer bags.
- To use, thaw on counter or place in a bowl of water for a few hours thaw. Drain excess water off before using in recipe.
Trim Healthy Mamas this snack cake is an S.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" or 8" square baking pan with coconut oil spray.
- Use a mixer to whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add in almond flour, baking blend, sweetener, baking powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- Add in squash and mix for 2 minutes until the squash is incorporated throughout the batter.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Test center with a cake tester or toothpick for doneness.
- Can be served alone, with berry sauce, or with icing of choice.
You might also like my Sugar-Free Strawberry Sauce.
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure policy here.
My girls and I went to a Gluten-Free Expo last month in Indianapolis and had such a good time trying all the samples of gluten-free foods. There was a lot of yummy food, but it wasn’t the type of gluten-free food that we normally eat. There was a lot of sugar. It’s not something I would want to do everyday, but once a year. Yeah.
One of the samples that we came home with was a little bag of sweet popcorn. Good thing it was a little bag, it would have been hard to stop. After looking at the ingredient list, I thought it would be quick and easy to duplicate, but make it sugar-free! So here it is – sugar-free sweet & salty popcorn!
Tips for making Sweet & Salty Popcorn:
- Use an air popper to pop your popcorn.
- Blend your choice of sweetener in a blender or coffee grinder to a powder consistency.
- Use organic or Non-GMO popping corn if possible.
- I use Spectrum Coconut Spray Oil. I have found that Walmart carries it at the lowest price.
- For Trim Healthy Mamas, keep your serving size to 4 cups or under. This would be for an occasional E snack.
- 16 cups organic popped corn
- 3-4 tablespoon homemade sweetener*, powdered or sweetener of choice
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- Coconut spray oil
- To make powdered homemade sweetener, blend the sweetener in a blender or coffee grinder until powdered.
- Put popped corn in large bowl or pan. Spray over the popcorn for about 3-5 seconds and then sprinkle on about 1 tablespoon of powdered sweetener and the sea salt. Stir with two large spoons. Spray over the popcorn again for about 3-5 seconds and sprinkle another tablespoon of sweetener over the popcorn. Stir and repeat. Taste to see if it is sweet enough. If not, repeat process. You may need to spray the popcorn 2-3 more times and stir to get all the popcorn sweetened.