I have been wanting to have a gluten-free pie crust that I could make an apple pie with that would still be on plan with Trim Healthy Mama. I needed to figure out a way to make a pie crust that wouldn’t have too much fat so that I could keep it in a “E” setting.
When I learned that sprouted flours were on plan with Trim Healthy Mama my thoughts turned to pie crust. I started looking online for different ingredients that I could replace the fat that is normally found in a crust and found the perfect one! Pumpkin. Pumpkin is my new “secret” weapon when it comes to baking.
This gluten-free pie crust is not the your normal flaky crust that you might be used to, instead it is it’s own type of crust. It has a nice, full flavor and has a good, firm texture. If you are the type that might want to eat right out of the pie pan, with this crust you can actually pick a piece of pie up and eat it from your hand. (I might have tested that for you.)
I used a gluten-free sprouted flour blend in this recipe that I ordered from To Your Health Sprouted Flour Co. For gluten-free flours I think that their prices are very reasonable. We have been eating mostly grain free for a few years now and I’m really excited to be able to use gluten-free sprouted flour as it is easier to digest once it’s sprouted.
This gluten-free pie crust will go perfectly with my gluten-free apple pie recipe.Print
Gluten-Free Pie Crust (Dairy & Nut Free)
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 1 pie crust
- Category: Dessert
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free sprouted flour blend
- 3 tablespoons canned pumpkin
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon xylitol, optional
- 2-3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease the bottom and sides of a pie pan.
- Mix all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. This mix will be thick and you may need to finish mixing by hand. Pat it into a greased pie pan.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then fill with pie filling to continue baking. If using this crust for a non-baked filling, bake for 25-30 minutes and check for doneness.
See my Recipe Index for more THM, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Sugar Free recipes.